More and more cat owners are choosing to provide their pet cats with safe access to the outdoors using some type of containment system. ProtectaPet joined forces with International Cat Care to conduct a survey on cat containment. The report has since been published and here are some of the interesting findings that were discovered thanks to the contribution made by the 369 responses that were received.
Who and Where?
- 46% of the respondents lived in a suburban environment, 31% urban and 22% rural.
- 43% had pedigree breeds that included the Norwegian Forest Cat, Bengal, Burmese, Ragdoll and Maine coon.
- 57% had one or more domestic breeds such as the shorthair, longhair or crossbred pedigrees.
- A whopping 73% kept no other pets!
Cat fencing or a similar wall barrier system was the most popular type of cat containment installation, with 78% of the respondents choosing this type of system for their property.
Impact on the Cat’s Lives
Interestingly, 39% of the respondents said that their pet cats had no outdoor access before they installed the cat containment system, while 36% said they allowed their cats some access to the outdoors. These cats now enjoy outside access, with plenty of fresh air and more room to play and explore. With outdoor access, cats receive more chances to exercise naturally and indulge in natural behaviours, helping to keep cats happy and healthy both physically and mentally.
Why Buy a Cat Containment System?
The respondents were asked if there was a specific incident that resulted in them deciding to choose a cat containment system. 58% said that there was indeed an incident, the type of accidents that were recorded include:
- Cat killed by a car on the road
- Cat being targeted to use as bait for dog fighting
- Fighting with neighbourhood cats
- Cats being harmed in the local area
- Deaf cats
- Missing vats
- Dog attacks
- Cat illness
- Cat poisonings including anti-freeze poisonings in local area
- Neighbour disliking cats
- Concerns about the cat killer
- Moving home and living close to main roads
Benefits of the Cat Containment System
Finally, here are some of the most popular points that the cat owners liked most about their chosen cat containment system.
- Peace of mind
- Giving the cat safe access to the outdoors
- Cats being safe from harm from roads, other cats and animals and people
- Being able to have the windows and doors open that lead on to the contained area
- Not worrying about young children in the home leaving doors open
- Discrete design
- Easy to install
- Happier cats